On My Weigh!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Journey has Begun

It's January and everyone began making their resolutions. Some following them, and some have already given up. I guess I might could be thrown in with the group of resoluters, but I consider it more of a goal than a resolution that I am setting.

Last year, I told myself that I would be running a 10k this year. I figured that I've done 3 5k runs without a problem, so it was time to up my goal. But at that time, 2010 still seemed a while away until last week, I realized that April will be here before I know it and I need to really get focused if I'm going to do this. I have until the end of February to register before the price jumps up, so I wanted to get started and see if I was really ready for a 10k.

It just so happens that yesterday, Monday January 11th, Gold's Gym, where I work out, is having a company-wide contest called the Know Your Own Strength Challenge. It lasts 12 weeks and as a very crazy coincidence, that is exactly when the 10k will be. The challenge is for individuals to set goals for themselves and lose weight or inches or just get toned and in shape. Whatever is your goal! There is one contest that is just within the gym and one that is company-wide for all Gold's Gyms. The local contest has prizes like TVs, gift cards, and such. The big one has a grand prize of $12,500 for the top male and female winners. Wow! I don't think I'll make it to that caliber, but wouldn't it be awesome! And it is something to really dream about as you are sweating. Their are prizes for different categories too depending on if you lost the most weight, inches, or other.

I think of this challenge as kind of a biggest loser incentive for gym members. I figured it couldn't hurt to sign up and it will give me motivation to stick with my plan. I went to sign up and they asked me if I want to sign up just for the local contest or for the national one...the kicker was that they take your picture to be your before picture and for the local one, you can wear whatever you want, but for the national one, you have to just wear a sports bra and your pants.....oh the horror! But I thought, hey, I might as well....I wanted to dream of that big prize! So now I can say I've had my picture taken without a shirt....I just hope it doesn't leak out to the paparazzi!

My goal:
My main goal is to run and finish the 10k in April, but in training for this and accomplishing it, I hope to accomplish my side goal of toning up for 3 (aka the title of my blog.) I worked so hard after having Andrew to lose the baby weight and did it! I lost 32 lbs and was 10 lbs less than I was before I had kids. But somewhere along the way since then, I've managed to gain 10 lbs back, so I want that off of course and 5-10 lbs on top of that.

I want to be in great shape. We have been waiting to have our 3rd child since our 2 children are so close in age. Lillian turned 3 in October and Andrew will be 2 in February. We wanted to make sure they are more independent and able to help out a little before we add to the family. So our plan was to possibly conceive number 3 this fall if that works out. That means I have until then to be great shape. It will mean a easier pregnancy for me and just feeling better all around, along with making my post-partum easier as well.

So now my journey begins. I hope to write daily to help me stay motivated and focused.

Yesterday: Ran 3.25 miles on thread mill, 20 minutes on elliptical trainer, crunches, lunges
Today: Ran 20 minutes at 6.5 on thread mill on random inclines, 20 minutes on elliptical trainer, lunges, crunches

No comments:

Post a Comment